Thursday, September 1, 2011

Injured

We recently had a very traumatic event in the Vander Molen household.  An air conditioner vent thingy fell on Brooklyn's toe.  I was in the house nursing Dylan and talking to Shanna on the phone when I heard a scream from the garage.  Something in the tone of the scream told me that it was real this time.  I put the phone down and ran into the garage mid feed.  I looked down at her foot and all I could see was her toe with a small puddle of blood under it.  I picked her up and brought her into the house and set her down so I could put Dylan in the play pen.  I then carried her to the counter (all while blood was dripping all over the floor).  I calmly told her that she had a bad owie and that we needed to go to the doctor so he could fix it.  She was not happy about this.  She kept insisting that it would get better by itself.  Broke my heart!  My mom came over to stay with Dylan and we met Curt down at Willow Urgent Care.  The sight of me holding her with a very bloody paper towel was enough for them to take us right back.  After cleaning it and making sure there was no damage to the tendons the doctor put one stitch in it.  The worst part was when he had to numb it, but Brooklyn did great.  We told her it was okay to cry and scream but she needed to hold still.  The doctor was SO impressed with her (and mommy and daddy).  After they took some x-rays (which were fine) we headed home.  Then of course Brooklyn got spoiled with some TLC.  The only time she has complained is when we've cleaned it.  She never says it hurts and just goes about her business with a slight limp.  I have to force her to take a break and put it up to ice it.  The doctor says she'll heal just fine with a slight scar and possibly some nail damage. Let's hope her nail keeps growing!!

Here are some pictures, captured with my cell phone, of the injury....
Day 1
 Her froggy ice pack.
 Day 2
Day 3

2 comments:

ThE nIcHoLs FaMiLy said...

What a trooper!! Poor little B :(

Emily said...

That first picture gave me the shivers.... Oy! Poor thing :(